Monday, July 8, 2013

Fantasy Dinners-- not exactly what you'd imagine


I’ve had so much fun with the sacred dinners and especially the chakra themed meals last week that I decided to do some fantasy dinners while Ellie and Ryan are with me this week. Today we’re going to do unicorns--kebabs, guacamole and chips, spiral cheese straws, salad, and spiral greek orange sugar cookies I bought from Whole Foods. Tomorrow will be fairies: curried carrot and apple soup, crudités cut very tiny, and little strawberry marzipan cookies. Wednesday is angel day and we’ll have fluffy sweet potatoes, salad, and raspberry jam heart cookies. Finally, Thursday will be the dragon’s dinner: wild rice salad, spinach with strawberries and poppyseed dressing, and little chocolate star drop cookies. You’ll have to imagine what they represent. Each day will have a themed table setting. I’ve only done the one for today since they’ll just be getting here around dinner. They can help me with the others and I’ll let them choose. We’ll leave a place at the table for the unicorn, fairies, angels, and dragons to join us. I’m hoping this will encourage them to not groan when I say to turn the television off and really begin to enjoy eating at the table. Watching television while I ate was a habit I developed as a child and passed it on to my children, then my grandchildren. It isn’t every meal, but enough. Still, you’re never too old to develop new habits and sitting at the table every night has been such a relaxed and sacred experience that I want to make sure Ellie & Ryan discover the joy of being together and being creative while eating dinner. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I’ll post pictures of the meals and the recipes as I do them. Thanks Denise & Meadow for your inspiration!

Update 9/9: When Ryan, age 6, found out the theme for Monday's dinner was going to be unicorns, he looked at me very seriously and said,"You and I are a lot alike." 
I said, "Yeah? How?" 
"We both believe in unicorns and knights and stuff like that." 
I nodded, "Yep, we do. Do you know someone who doesn't?" 
He frowned, "Just about everyone I know." 
"Well, it's their loss," I told him. 
"Yeah," he said and walked away.

Update 9/10: When you invite fairies to dinner, be prepared for some magical conversation. Ellie and Ryan are fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who ignite their imagination with stories and play so I know it is the culture that seems to be zapping them into the adult world too young, too soon, and too much. Add a little fairy dust to each plate BEFORE dinner (cake dusting powder sold at Michael's) and be prepared for some great discussion.

Update 9/11: If you have too many people who don't believe in angels to a dinner where you've invited angels, it doesn't have the same "feel" to it.

Update 9/12: Dragons make the most interesting guests. Ryan asked if I could "see" the dragons. Ellie watched me expectantly. I smiled, "No, I can't actually see them, but that doesn't mean they aren't there." Ryan looked straight at me, "You know most people are afraid of dragons. Are you?" Me: "Nope. I like dragons." Ryan: "Because they protect you, right?" Ellie: "Yes, Ryan. We've talked about this before. Right, Omi?" Me-- yaye. She's nine and still needs a healthy dose of real imagination. I love all things dragon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment