Monday, July 15, 2013

The Sacredness of the Sugar Fairy

I fought the sugar fairy all through the years my children were growing up. The bus driver was the worst. There were few days they didn't hit the door with a hard candy in their mouths. Finally, I gave up and decided that in moderation, we'd cope. The same is true for my grandchildren. I don't completely exclude sugar from their diets while they're with me like I did my children, who will be the first to cry "foul" and tell you how victimized they were. Still, it bears repeating and repeating and repeating. Sugar, especially in the quantities we eat it today, damages our bodies. It feels good going down and that little burst of energy makes the moment really zing, but then the inevitable crash occurs. This article makes the point better than I ever could and is a reminder that things never really change. We have to be informed advocates and activists for a pure food supply and selective in what we put into our bodies and the bodies of our children. For most people, sugar is sacred. I'm thinking they might need to find something more worthy of worship-- like water, fruit, vegetables. Just a thought. Sugar Love: a not so sweet story. 

Blueberries at Hard Labor Creek Blueberry Farm July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment